Riley MRI

Riley MRI
Riley's First Picture

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mom of the Year

Good Morning,

I hope you all have had a great week; we sure have! Riley has been doing phenomenally since her surgery. She has taken milk via tube and by mouth and has kept her full feeds down. She actually ate a whole ounce by bottle yesterday during a feeding, and then was so tired, that she conked out!

This weekend was great as always. Its so awesome to have Chase and Brian out here to spend time with. Chase is definitely getting used to having Riley as a sister. Whenever anyone says "oh is that your sister?" he puffs out his chest and says "ya ya". He also goes down the family list now:

Chase: doggy?
Me: Maggie is playing outside.
Chase: dada?
Me: Daddy is sleeping.
Chase: Riley?
Me: Riley is sleeping too!

I cant even tell you how awesome the above conversation was to me!

We went for a swallow study yesterday to see if Riley could drink normal milk instead of thickened. She didn't aspirate, but came close, so she is still on thickened.

Our old roommate Avery and her mom Stacy went down to ultrasound yesterday and upon their return, Stacy let me know that the doctor that read the ultrasound had a belt buckle on that said "playboy" complete with the playboy bunny. Seriously? In a Children's Hospital? Well, of course, if you know me, this sparked a night of fun.

It all started when I told Stacy that I was going to put a Playboy Mansion sign on her door. Instead, I walk out of my room where a nurse asks me about my dance moves only to find out that she put a sign on my door saying "I am auditioning for So You Think You Can Dance. Ask me about my cool new dance moves!"

After having a great laugh (and being laughed at by everyone at the nurses station) I decided that we mommies needed a night on the town. I invited Stacy and after making sure we had good nurses for the kids last night, we decided to go down to a bar at Fenway while the game was going on. We joked around with a few nurses because they knew it was our first big night out of the hospital for some down time.

No sooner did we walk the mile, get to a bar, and order a beer, then Riley's nurse called. She had come in to calm Riley down when she was crying and found her soaked. The balloon in her G-tube that holds it in her stomach had burst, and the G-tube came out. The nurses were saying that they hadn't seen anything like it before. They had her stable and were holding a cat in her to keep the hole open and they would be taking her to radiology to check placement of the catheter. Well, we headed back and got to the hospital where Riley and I stayed up till 2 (not exactly the late night I was expecting). She now has a catheter instead of a G-tube that they can put feeds through, and hey are hoping to switch it back to a G-tube by discharge time. Go figure that the one night this happens, I then have to come in and explain to the Dr. on staff that mommy was out having a drink. Regardless of the fact that this was my first night out. Mom of the year material for sure!

Just as an FYI, Stacy now has a sign that says playboy mansion with a picture of a playboy bunny, and I have a new sign with a cartoon strip of a man covered in stubble illustrating different dance moves. The war is on! ;)

Have a great week!

Sent from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. absolutely love it. cant wait for you to come home and have a "drink" XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought tears (of joy) and chuckles of laughter. Riley's progress is amazing, and I can picture the hijinx at the hospital. Too funny!! And Sandra, you and Brian do such an incredible job writing this blog - it makes me feel like I'm there with you. Thank you and please give Chase and Riley a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete